fiction 1

Sunday, May 12, 2013


IMG_1121
So I've never shared any fiction here before? Probably because I can hardly write a short story to save my life. But I thought I'd try today.

FICTION 1:
She was sitting on the opposite end of the couch, two cushions down from me, looking in the direction of the tv. She wasn't watching the movie, though, she was just staring into nothingness. In her hands was a cup of hot chocolate that she'd only accepted because she wouldn't open her mouth to say "No, I don't want any. Leave me alone." She'd been this way since the day of the funeral; the first time I'd ever seen her; the day my mom brought her home. She just sat, stared, and accepted, but never said a word or ate a morsel. Her hair was unbrushed and her face was clean of any make up, which seemed strange, considering all the other girls I'd ever known wouldn't even leave their rooms without their faces painted and their hair pinned perfectly. Maybe that's what happens when you lose both your parents in the same night and the only person left to take care of you is your mom's best friend; a woman you've never met before. Maybe you stop caring after that. Or maybe she was just different from any of the other girls I'd ever known.
     When the movie ended, we just sat there with our off tempo breathing as the only noise in the room.
     "What does it feel like?" I didn't even realize I was asking it out loud until she snapped out of her daze and looked at me with her icy blue eyes.
     She stared for a while before she found the words or decided she trusted me or just felt like talking after being mute for so long. "It feels like trying to read an enthralling book at three in the morning. You want to read, but your body is telling you otherwise. Your eyes keep closing and the words smear together and you can't make sense of anything. You want to know how the story ends, but you don't have the strength to stay awake. You can't stay awake, no matter how hard you try, because drowsiness keeps pulling you back. Eventually you fall asleep. And when you wake up you just regret. You regret not being able to stay awake, you regret not finishing the story, you regret not being able to sleep longer, you regret staying up so late. You crawl out of bed and everything hurts because there's no good position to read for hours on end and you fell asleep with the book still open and your glasses still on the bridge of your nose, so now you have a crick in your neck. And even though you slept instead of reading the book, you're still tired the rest of the day and you can't do anything anybody is expecting you to do. You still can't read the rest of the story, you can't do school, and you can't go out and weed the garden. You can't do anything. But you still don't want to fall asleep again. No matter what you do, you can't have what you want. That's what it feels like, Joe."
     "So why not get some caffeine?" It was a stupid thing to say, but it was the only thing I could think of. At least it makes her smile. A microscopic smile, which makes her skin look warmer and not so porcelain and frozen. She shook her head at me with her sad smile, then stood up and placed the mug of hot chocolate (which had long since turned to cold chocolate) on the coffee table, and walked off toward the old office we'd turned into a bedroom for her. But before she reached the door, she turned around. "Thanks," she said.
     "For what?"
     "For not trying to make me feel better."
     She was definitely different from any of the other girls I'd ever known.


kbye. | Megan

20 comments:

  1. i mean i wrote you a novel on facebook but this is still legit good. legit feels.
    kbai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um.
    what.
    where's the next page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sursly though i intend to buy this book, no joke, so let me know when it's published kkbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks :) I might just have to turn this into a novel just for you (nanowrimo 2013?) haha. For now, the novel I'm working on is far from this on the scale of best things I've ever written and worst things I've ever written, as it's still in the drafting process. But maybe it'll be this good eventually? hopefully ;)

      Delete
  4. this is quite good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so so good. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ..HAH. Can hardly write a short story? THIS IS MARVS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. apparently i can now? I hadn't tried since 2011 :p

      Delete
  7. This is amazing, I'd love to see more fiction someday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why thank you :) I'd love to share more someday––this was fun!

      Delete
  8. MEGAN YOU LIE! this short story is THE BEST. so yes you can. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. I haven't tried for 2 years...so I guess I got better? ;)

      Delete
  9. WOW. that analogy made me really emotional. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. i will be waiting for hours in line to get this book signed by you. tell me when the book gets published, and gimme your tour dates. please tell me north florida will be somewhere in that list of dates. if not, i'll cry. i swear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're such a dear! As I said in reply to Jess's comment...this isn't actually part of a novel I'm currently working on, it's just something I wrote to share here. Maybe I'll turn it into something in the future since you all liked it so much :) As for getting published––you blog friends will be some of the first to know! Mmmm a tour sounds fun!! North Florida will be on the list for sure ;)

      Delete
  11. Wow, this had me hooked from beginning to end. Post more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will try to post some more soon––this was less terrifying and more fun than I thought it would be to share. haha. :)

      Delete
  12. yes, i agree with everyone. this is amazing! you should definitely write a whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. dude I NEED to know what happens or I won't be able to sleep tonight. WRITE MOREEE :-)

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.