nighttime lights

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I could write about the weather; how snow is forecasted for thursday and how it's finally cold outside. But I'm not going to write about the weather.
I could write about semester finals; how they're tomorrow and I'm nowhere near ready. But I'm not going to write about semester finals.
I could write about how excited I am for Christmas break. But I'm not going to write about that, either.
Instead, I'll write about last night.

DSC_0058 DSC_0055 DSC_0052 DSC_0048 DSC_0047 DSC_0042 DSC_0040 DSC_0030 DSC_0023 DSC_0025
Eleven of us piled into two cars and drove to the city. We drove through the neighborhoods, slowing down to examine the houses decked out in christmas cheer. Snapping pictures, we counted snowmen and candy canes. (And the lonesome 1 elf.) We begged to go to the top of the parking ramp, but instead parked on ground level. Cameras in hand and our feet in sync, we took a trek down the sidewalks of the city. We dodged a tree full of birds and walked in wide circles downtown. We sat on cold benches and felt our fingers slowly freeze. The cool air nipped at every bit of exposed skin and turned our cheeks red. (And Whitney, those gloves were big because they're made for men.) Stopping at the corner, we rewound our memories to a time way back during the summer. For a few seconds, our past selves flickered before our eyes. And all the way home, we strung songs together from the words that hung on the tips of our tongues, and killed our voices trying to keep our eyes open at midnight.

xo | Megan

8 comments:

  1. I love the story you painted here, Megan. <3 So much warmth and Christmas-y adventurism. You done made me happy, friend. ;)

    xoxo,
    ~bree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beaaaautiful. <3 Sounds like something my friends and I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful.
    That's it, I'm coming with you next time.

    xoxo,
    Rachel Nicole

    rachyracheshobbycorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a beautiful post! I just went out today to take pictures or nighttime lights, I love 'em :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. this makes me nostalgic and happy and chilled and excited.

    this post is the epitome of a winter night. and i love it.

    xxx a //capturelife

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your writing and these pictures totally put me in your shoes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your blog & your writings. You totally tell stories with all your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.