some words

Monday, August 27, 2012

DSC_0508
Here's the thing about my blog: I feel it growing bland at just a single glance. I'm growing tired of the constant million-photos+single-paragraph-of-meaninglessness rhythm. It gets tiring after a while, all the photos that fill up the page; so many from a single day when just three would have done the trick. And lately, I feel as if I have more to say than I have to show. Sometimes, I could fill up a page with words that I feel would better describe the day than any photograph I'd taken...but that wouldn't work. That's not how I do my blog. No one here cares enough to read that much about something I experienced.

Why? If I wanted my blog to be full of words, wouldn't that be okay? Couldn't I make that okay? I know everyone else has loads of photographs and hardly any words...but sometimes I just want the reverse effect of that. I know pictures are a huge thing these days, but I like words too. And if it's down to the "no one cares" excuse, clearly I should just do it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I'm going to be doing things a little differently. It's going to be different. Some people might not like it, but that's alright with me. There's no way one person can ever be everyone's favorite.

There will be some days when I'll write you something that's really long. I might give you a portion of my thoughts or a story from a few days ago. There will be some days where I'll just have a few photographs (or maybe many) to share and not very much to say about them. Some days, I'll just talk to you (maybe via video). Some days I'll teach you something. Generally, this will be a big "here's what I have for you today," posting system. And not everyone's going to like it. But here's the thing: I'm not just a photographer. I'm more of a writer than I let on here, but I'm not even just that either. And that should be seen here.

Right now, I'm going to let you decide if you want to stick around for this. You can leave now if you want. You could stay for a few weeks and decide you hate it and leave then. Or you could decide you love it and stay. Or you could even be excited for something new to come to this space because you were getting bored, too, and you've already decided to stay. I can't imagine how differently you all are going to respond to this, but right now it's your choice. Whatever it is you decide is perfectly fine.

I just want my blog to be a place where I can share whatever I'd like...even if it's just a page full of words. For all the people that only come here to scroll through a page of my photos: I'm sorry. Photos aren't the only things I have to share anymore--if it ever was. (Because I have no idea when I decided minimal words and maximum photos were best.) I have a flickr if all you want to see is my photos. I'll still be posting photographs all the time, but words are going to be popping up a lot, too.

So here's the thing: things are going to be different. I am excited. This blog won't be following the same style and structure that you've seen for the past couple months. Changes will be coming. In fact, they've already come. I've written you 7 paragraphs and an entirely minimalist design has been installed. (headers were getting annoying to me. I was dying to put this design up. I hope you like it, too. I know...it's really different.) I hope you decide to stick around for this, because it's going to be the same writer and the same photographer and the same Megan, just a different way of doing things.

thanks for reading.
xo | Megan

34 comments:

  1. First off: I LOVE the new design! Reminds me of a Tumblr theme, and the minimalism is rocking my world.

    Second: I think that the fact that you're brave enough to say "this is how it's going to be, and if you don't like it, then that's OK" is incredibly amazing. Kudos to you girl!

    Thirdly: I am sooo with you on the whole header thing. They can be so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought of it as brave, but thank you. You're fantastic.
      Have a excellent day. xo.

      Delete
  2. this is utterly fantastic, megan. and i've already got my seatbelt on for the ride.

    seriously, though, this design is the bomb-dot-com. like a portfolio website or something from tumblr. just so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS! I'm in love with the new design, too--so pretty! You. Are. Awesome.

    xo
    kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. The design, the posting changes...everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely ADORE this new design, Megan! I love the minimalism. I've also been toying w/ the no header thing for the design I put up on my blog last night but I haven't quite been brave enough to actually have no real header like I planned to.
    And I'm so excited to stick around for the "new" blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I saw your new look today and I'm loving it!
      xo.

      Delete
  6. Love the new design, reminds me of a tumblr. :) I enjoy your photography and your writings so I think I will be sticking around to see your other stories and life :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan...I've popped into your blog now and then in the past, but was totally blown away when I visited today. First off, I love this design. So simple, so wonderfully different. Really loving that road photo too--so unique. And secondly, this post is probably my favorite of yours I've ever read. It's so real and honest--not pretending to be honest, but really honest. I love that. I've seen enough falsity over the years that it's really (really) refreshing to read and see something completely authentic. I love that you're not afraid to step outside the box, something I feel like so many others (myself included at times) are afraid to do. I so admire your braveness and indifference to what has been deemed the standard. Basically, you go girl. Keep on rocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, carlotta. you're basically incredible and sweet and got me smiling all day long.
      xo.

      Delete
  8. The new design is amazing and it's really, really cool that you're so willing to have your blog be a representation of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been thinking kind of the same thing lately. It's like everyone is now following a bunch of dumb fads. Pretty much every single blogger has photo-filled posts, just a few words (I'm incredibly guilty of that. Ew.) and just posts meaningless stuff or either talks about being an "artist". I actually like your idea. It would be so nice to see a change for once (speaking in general) and read a post chalk full of good, meaningfull stuff...not just a bunch of meaningless photos and words and talking about "finding beauty in the smallest things." Aha.

    Best of luck to you on this new journey! 'Twill be grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm just tired of it being bland. I want my blog to mean something. I don't want it to be a page grabbing at and screaming to people trying to get them to like it.
      xo.

      Delete
  10. Hooray for change! We all need it sometimes and I'll be cheering you on no matter what others may say or think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, you're so incredibly sweet!

      Delete
  11. HOLY GUACAMOLE you're good. This design is so fresh, unique, simple, and lovely. It tells about you without having to say much at all, which, in my mind, is the best kind.
    And your new... take on things (is that how I should put it?) is incredibly refreshing. I love it.
    You've inspired me, too. These past few months, my blog has been just sort... blah. Nothing's different about it, and the actual me is barely there, hardly noticeable to a passerby. You can't look at my blog and instantly want to come back. There's nothing to grab on to.
    I was out of my mind trying to figure out what it was that made it so drab... or rather, what it wasn't. Your post most definitely made me want to strive towards change for the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHMYWORD YOU'RE FANTASTIC.
      thanks, girl! this comment makes me happy.
      xo.

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you've come to this decision & I completely agree! I used to be pretty stingy with blogging, but a while ago I sorta just let that all go. Now I just post whatever I want, whenever I want. And I like my blog a lot better this way. I really think it takes some time practicing and following trends to realize what you really want from it.

    P.S. Love the design, especially the picture on the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes. I'll probably be reading your blog more if you do this. Good design, and very un-distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. THIS IS WHY I LOVE YOU & YOUR BLOG. You're not afraid to step out and do things differently. Thank you so much for being the wonderful person that God made you to be. <3

    Abbie // XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm head over heels with the design, Megan. I agree with Abi- it looks like Tumblr, which I LOVE! If you want to write more words, then do just that. I can relate with being drawn more to words these days, having more to say than to show. Some things can only be expressed with a photographed memory, but others have to be detailed and laced and strung together from the depths of one's soul. So, write your heart out, love. I can't wait to see the changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this and this exactly. absolutely.
      thank you! xo.

      Delete
  16. bravo. love this, lady. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. you're the coolest. i love your new thoughts and perspective and style. can't wait to see where you're blog goes in these coming months.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this, and I completely agree. Looking forward to word-filled posts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Megan, I've read your blog for a while now, and I followed it at first because I really like the writer photographer combo you had going.....recently, after reading this post, I realized that was doing the opposite of probably most people....instead of coming only for the photos, and skipping the writing, I was scrolling through the pictures (still admiring them and looking at them) to find the words. I wanted to read the writing.....and there hasn't been a ton of it as you said yourself. I am SO glad to hear that you will be writing more!

    However, putting my own thoughts aside, do what you want, and be who you are, and who ever wants to stick around will. :) <3
    You rock, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is awesome! Bravo for your bravery and for not being afraid of what people might think; for stepping out there to just be yourself. I'm definitely sticking along for the ride. ;)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, every once in a while I hop over to your blog and peruse for a little while, but for some reason I've never clicked the follow button. Your raw honesty has completely blown me away. Honestly, I've struggled with the words vs. photographs concept, because for me it's so much easier to express myself with the click of a shutter button, rather than composing eloquent paragraphs. It's so hard for me to find who I really am under the piles of stereotypes and "should be's", and somehow you've managed to do that. The fact that your not afraid to step out on a limb and do things differently makes me want to join the caravan and watch this amazing adventure unfold. Also, the tumblr-esque design is practically perfect in every way :)
    love + lots and lots of admiration,
    simi

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well whaddaya know? Borderless is actually... well, borderless. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is exciting! I've been feeling the same way about my blog. I feel like we get into ruts because there's somehow a standard way of we "should" post. I've wanted to say more, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dang Megan. This post is amazing. I admire you so much with what you're doing. With blogging, I think a lot of people just do "what's trendy and cool at the moment", and I really don't like that. I love how you're stepping out and being different. I'm so excited to see your coming posts. Keep goin' girl. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved this -- SO MUCH. Two thumbs up, Megan. Your blog will always be amazing, because it's a personification of you, and you're amazing. So, yeah keep it up girl. xo

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.