guest post from Kylie Turley of the flybird

Saturday, August 18, 2012

While I'm away in Missouri and Oklahoma, Kylie agreed to post here on my blog. She's a photographer/videographer, traveler, and blogger over at the flybird. If you haven't already, you'll definitely have to checkout her amazing blog. Thanks Kylie! xo.


Do you ever just find yourself in a creative slump? Sometimes it's not even a slump, but a sense of insecurity in who you are and what you're capable of. Maybe you're like me and spend too much time comparing your talents, skills and abilities to other people. Often times those people are some of the best at what they do - and we compare their best work to our own, making ourselves feel... well...the worst.

I wanted to share a few insights that I have to remind myself every single day that helps me to love what I do, and to keep doing what I love because of it. It'd be an awful shame if all of us gave up on our dreams or passions just because we feel we don't meet some kind of standard or aren't as good as "so and so" or as inspiring as "such and such." You get the idea.

I learned from a wise man three simple things.

1. Have a positive attitude
2. Believe in yourself
3. Face challenges with courage

Seems simple enough - but it's a lot harder when you try to put that into action. When it comes to creativity - whether that be photography, writing, making little videos, doing graphic design or sketching with charcoal - we are all capable of great things. It's okay to be inspired by others - it's motivating! Instead of feeling lost in the crowd, get lost in your work! Get busy! Get started, and get going! Don't let feelings of insecurity or inadequacy stop you from enjoying whatever it is that you love. Keep trying and keep creating because although you may feel small - you are someone's biggest role model in some way, shape or form - and you are special.

-Kylie

7 comments:

  1. i love this. soso much. thanks kylie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww, thanks for the encouragement!!!
    I've been having that issue. exactly. (:

    xx, Abi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!! Thank you a lot Kylie! I usually struggle with feeling insecure and I also compare myself to others! Your a blessing!
    ~Amber :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this was awesome. thanks, kylie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats true ky, thats how i feel about you :) i love you and you better follow this advice yourself little miss. love you and this post!! you and megs blow my mind, wish i were more like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a crazy, amazing, inspiring post. love it!

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.