a few more writing tips

Saturday, June 16, 2012


I know Megan has already done a some writing posts here on the blog, and so have I on mine, but I've learned much more since then, and writing tip posts seemed to always be a big hit so I thought I'd go ahead and create another (yes, I do realize that is probably a huge run-on sentence).

tip number one: explore the place where your main character lives or spends the most time in. 
I know this is isn't possible for everybody, especially if you're writing a fantasy novel, but even finding a place that looks like what you'd imagine your character to live in helps.

I was at my grandparents a few months ago, and my grandpa asked me if I wanted to go with him to check on his garden. What I didn't know was that on the plot of land that the garden rested on was an old old house from the late 1800's or early 1900's. I literally sat there with my mouth open, then immediately pulled out my camera to snap one million photos of the house.  It looked exactly like I had imagined my main character, Amos's house to look like, except for I had imagined it a little smaller. But the place, surrounded by mountains, was perfect. There even was a little barn! Though we couldn't go inside (the place was bolted up), later that week my grandma took me to an old fort where I got another good taste of pioneer living.

So, moral to the story, find someplace that you can turn into your own little novel site. It will get your creative juices flowing.





tip number two: write every single day. 
Here comes the hard part. It isn't easy to write everyday. I'll admit, I don't do it all the time. But once you start writing you will most likely get caught up and write a ton. So pull out that stack of papers and pencil, open the google doc, or click on the microsoft word button and start typing.

tip number three: get excited about it. 
Draw your character. Talk about your writing with friends. Buy some cute sticky notes or a moleskin to doodle ideas in. Talk like your main character for a day. Get a binder together and organize your novel's plot.

tip number four: learn to take criticism.
I wish someone would've told me this sooner. I had some people review my book when I thought it was done, and they kindly pointed out that I needed a better plot along with some more explaining to do. They thought the book was too rushed. I, while I knew what they were saying was true, was too hard on myself and basically thought I'd never write anything good. But after a week I decided to do something about it, thus I'm now working on my fourth draft of the book. It's turning out way better than I thought, and I'm so excited. Learn to listen to other people, especially if you can see what they're saying is true.






tip number five: learn how much and how little detail you need.
I often skip the details when writing, I like to get into the action. On the other hand, some writers like to go and on and on with details and it seems like the action will never happen. Both are equally not healthy ways to write. So try to add some detail, but don't overdo it.

tip number six: remember to live, too. 
Writers can get caught up in their own little world. We have to remember that we have friends, family, and problems in real life. So -- remember that writing is important, especially if it's your job, but your characters and places (this goes mainly for fantasy authors) are fake. They aren't real, like the people around you. Remember to get out and love others some too.


Well, that's all I have for today. Do you like to write, and if so, do you have any tips?

hugs,
Kendra

blog | email 

5 comments:

  1. great tips! i definitely need them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these! thanks Kendra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Photos Kendra!
    I love your post. Your awesome.
    your sister,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for this! i haven't worked on my story in about 2 1/2 months (like, at all) and today i decided it was time to try again. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tips Kendra! Your photography is also stunning (:

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.