Life Lately

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Life has been all sorts of crazy lately.

Dirt under my fingernails and dandelion juice on my palms, I wrote a few pages of my novel. I've never thought about giving up this story. I feel a bit like I owe it not only to myself and all the hours of work I've put into it, but also my characters. I gave them an image and a voice. To leave them behind would be tragic and devastating. Because the truth? I want to know what happens, too.

"I feel like every other word Megan says is 'nasty'."-Seth. Well, okay then.
It's been so fun to get to know the older three kids of this super rad family. Melody especially. We were in dance together last semester, which was a blast. She's so fun and crazy. She came along to the avengers with us -- we all shared so many laughs. [including my major blonde moment.] . Oh, and Mel: I totes can shake bags of rice faster than you.

DSC_0007 DSC_0010

Sitting out on the deck, eating grilled hotdogs and baked potato chips, laughing with some of the best friends in the entire world. And again on the pavement downtown Kalona, licking ice cream. It felt just like summer. It'd been forever since we'd just hung out. It was good to just sit around for awhile laughing and talking. Telling stories and catching up and feeling rain dribble down to earth. I've missed summer days like these.

DSC_0081DSC_0084 DSC_0127

Screaming at mice, cowering at spiders, and sweating in the sun. Lost of water and lots of smiles, too. It was so good to be back at camp, even for just a day. Cleaning up all the cabins that haven't been touched since summer is like dusting off a good memory. I'm gone three weeks of June out at this place. No technology and no comfy bed. But it's one of my favorite places in the world. For what it is and what it means and what's happened here over the years.

[guys. these vultures are crazy scary.]
DSC_0160 DSC_0161 DSC_0169 DSC_0170

The railroad track and the train as a backdrop to the delicate purple flowers out at church. Spontaneous photoshoots with the sisters. Going through rows of books at the library, looking for just one. (My 8 year old sister is hooked on Magic Treehouse, thanks to me. She's read 4 since last sunday.) Having questions time with mom and dad. (we do this when we're all sitting around together.) [ "what's you're favorite animal?" dad: "That fish with the light on it's head in Finding Nemo." "What were your Japanese friend's names?" (dad went to high school in Japan.)] And just being silly together.

DSC_0214 DSC_0216 DSC_0217 DSC_0218 DSC_0219 DSC_0251 DSC_0252 DSC_0253 DSC_0262 DSC_0278 DSC_0309 DSC_0314 DSC_0317 DSC_0324

This week was a good week. It was a long, busy week full of school and the Anne of Greengables play practice (I'm the photographer & Mallory is a school girl) and texting silly things back and forth with Melody. I'm worn out and I'm slightly tired. Marissa's graduating soon and I took her senior pictures. I haven't read anything in at least a week. Our internet was out from Thursday to Monday morning. We had to drive through a crazy storm. But life goes on. School is almost out. (1 more week!) And summer is almost here.

DSC_0084 DSC_0127 DSC_0006 DSC_0198 DSC_0202
How was your week?
xo. Megan

p.s. the May design is up. Thoughts? If you're looking for a new design for your space, my DESIGN SITE has been revamped, too.

19 comments:

  1. *love* the new design! :D and these photos are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures!!! I love, love, love your new design!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the new design is beautiful ;)
    i loved this post. i miss hanging out with my friends, and am hoping we'll get to this summer. also, those flower/butterfly pics are gorgeous, and i love the way you captured the simplicity of your little sister's activities from the backseat.
    xo,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is so awesome :) Same for the pictures. And for the design!

    You are adorable. So are your sisters. My 7-year old brother loves Magic Treehouse books too. Me & my older brother used to read them, so we have so many.

    I can't wait for summer either! I'll probably only finish school at the end of this month, though. I have lots of math and a few history reports to write.

    That's so exciting about your camp! I love going to Bible camp in the summer. I'm volunteering to be a counselor at the little kids camps this summer. And, of course, I'll be a camper, too. :)

    Great to hear from you again! I was waiting for a new post, as creeper-ish as that sounds. And, my week has been awesome. Friends + practicing guitar + tons of pictures + warm days = just... yeah. Pretty awesome :)

    Sorry that this comment was the length of a novel. But this post was probably around three of them, so it's the least I could do.

    Abbie /// XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the new design!

    the title of the book in the magic tree house page picture is Pirates Past Noon.... am I right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, that's the one.
      xo.

      Delete
  6. Love this post! Sounds like a lot has been happening lately. Oh, and the Magic Tree House series was all I would read when I was younger, ha. Beautiful pictures, too. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures. And haha, I love your blonde moment. Weirdly enough, I've had my own "What's a bob?" moment but in completely different context. I was little, and completely perplexed by the idea of Spongebob. I asked my dad, "What's a sponge?" and he told me. Then I asked, "What's a bob?" He laughed at that. :) So yeah, that was my little anecdote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these pictures; and your blog design is so very lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your design, and your photos are gorgeous as always! and lucky you, finishing school in a week! i've got 5 entire weeks left! :)
    -kinga

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice new look and lovely post! your dad cracks me up! lol! This post makes me super excited for summer and all of our get togethers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! The butterflies! Gasp!!! And I love your scarf!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I spent my whole weekend with you so it pretty much ROCKED! as dose the new design:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those photos - they are so clean! The barn ones with the bird are also fantastic!

    K~la
    Chazak! (Be Strong)

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousMay 11, 2012

    hey Megan... i've been wondering if you're going to bring back moments and memories or the other link-up you had in the fall?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this!! Your pictures and your new design are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, hey. i didn't see this post. well, i like it, and i love the flower photos!
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are such pretty pictures!!!! New follower. :)

    joannadell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am so jealous of your adventures. they look like so much FUN!

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.