thoughts on blogs and bloggers

Monday, April 30, 2012

What's the difference between a blog with thousands of readers and one with only a few? With the exception of advertisement and how long the blog has been open, what is the difference? I've been reflecting on this subject for ages. Mainly, I've been trying to define why I like certain blogs so much; what makes me follow and read faithfully.


HOW TO HAVE A BAD BLOG / BE A BAD BLOGGER: Focus wholly on catching up with what's new in the blogging world. Do everything the popular bloggers do and pretty much just copy them. But -- warning -- try to cover it up so no one notices that you're actually copying. Do everything they do and comment even if you didn't read the post. Get your url out there and everywhere. Be annoying about it, they'll come eventually! And always, always, always check your stats and followers box. If you don't get more than 14 comments, it was a bad post. Try to do something more like what the popular bloggers do next time.

Alright, that is pretty extreme, but it happens and I've seen it. But seriously? Are we really that pathetic? What's even the point to blogging if that's the sort of junk we're going through to get more readers? If all we care about is getting more readers? Let's be real for a bit: What makes you want to follow a blog?

HOW TO HAVE A GOOD BLOG / BE A GOOD BLOGGER: authentic and unique content. Some photos (even if they're just some snapshots, they don't have to be DSLR, just your best. It's better if you actually took them). A clean design (it doesn't have to be fancy, just nothing florescent or hard to read or cluttered. Simple is generally best). Relatable posts. And an author that engages with readers and isn't constantly begging for more readers.


It sounds so simple, but anyone with experience will tell you that it is extremely hard. Being authentic is hard. Want to know why? Because we're all constantly slipping (even just the teeniest bit) into the bad blogger hole. You haven't gotten a follower in a few days or maybe a week. You haven't gotten many comments on your latest post. So you look to the popular blogs for ideas...or, to make it sound better, "inspiration." (+.) You see something you like, so you do something similar. You still don't get many comments. So you find something else and -- let's be honest -- copy it. And it goes on, over and over and over. You keep copying and copying and copying, but nothing gets you more comments or readers.


What is this, guys? What is this? What makes you want to read a blog? Authentic content. And all of us  know that. But we keep copying popular blogs because it got them comments and followers, and we thought maybe that would work for us, too. It worked for them because they came up with it! They started it. It was authentic because they did it first. It's not authentic when you do the same thing, so no one cares. It's nothing new. And I don't understand why we ever thought copying would work for us.


Readers want to see something new. Something that you thought, saw, did, or created. They don't want a replica of what Ms. Popular Blogger did.

I've fallen into that trap before -- the trap of thinking that copying will work. Maybe you have, too. Maybe you're in that trap. Just crawl out if it, friend, because it's a lie we always seem to believe. You're strong, you're incredible, and you have bounds of potential. Let's stop trying to do what's popular and let's create something new. Popular is so overrated, anyway. And, let's be real: You guys are amazing in your own way. You don't have to be Hannah-amazing or Carlotta-amazing, or anyone-else-amazing. Just be you-amazing. [and because you know much I love quotes, I made this for you: http://pinterest.com/megankm/be-you-amazing-quotes/]

xo. Megan

+. But seriously, guys, there is a such thing as inspiration, and there's also a such thing as going too far. And because Kylie is just amazing and fantastic and seriously one of my favorites, she did a excellent job of uncovering this topic, so check out her post: http://spencerandkylie.blogspot.com/2012/04/letter.html. By all means, go get inspired. But make it your own.

29 comments:

  1. Great post! I totally agree, I do do that sometimes. We all do. It IS hard to be unique when you see all these people with millions of followers and you have 2. Thank you so much. By the way, is there any way you can give me a new design on my blog? (http://ionaluvshorses.blogspot.com) <--- it needs a new url. LOL Anyways, it's in desparate need of a new design and I stink at designing. Email me? angel91799@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Here's the link to my site for more details on design things: http://megankristinedesigns.blogspot.com/
      xo.

      Delete
  2. you. you are AWESOME for posting this. i totally agree.
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pretty fabulous. Thanks for sharing your heart. Being authentic is a lifelong journey. We will always be discovering the real person that we are. And love that pinterest board, by the way. :D

    Abbie /// XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, Megan. :) You made it easy to read and understand. Thank-you so much for posting this reminder to all us bloggers. :hugs:

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so, so true! I've been having a hard time lately trying to be authentic but I've always made sure that my content is my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. :) That is a fabulous post, Megan. Being authentic is so important. ;)

    Thanks for sharing!

    xo,
    Mikailah~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! It's so true. We try to "copy" the popular bloggers because what they did worked for them. But people aren't looking for that. They want authentic. :)
    You are pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exactly why I love visiting your blog. You are such a sweet, amazing, inspiring, unique girl. Loved this post. Thank you for those little reminders-they give me that extra push to be more authentic in my posting, and in who I am overall. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great post! I think the ideas go beyond just blogging and into life. I think it's awesome to get inspiration from others but, YES, it's so easy to just start copying the popular trends instead of seeking out what makes us unique. Thanks for the inspiration to be me and thanks for being you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I totally love this. people don't realized the root of how popular bloggers got popular. it's not just their content - it's their ability to be real and to post their own stuff. to like what they like, not to like what everyone else likes just to be popular and fit in. I've had some issues with people actually copying my posts word for word and them getting more credit than I did. it hurts. and when I see bloggers copying other bloggers, it makes me sad. you don't get popular (or readers) just by the content of your blog. you get popular by being YOU and not pretending to be someone else for show.

    it's funny, I'm actually writing a post right now on a similar subject. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, i was just about to write about this. it seems like you read my mind quite often. i totally agree with everything you said. authenticity is best :D

    xo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great minds think alike, no? ;)

      Delete
  13. Mmm. I agree with you to the ends of the earth. Thanks for this, Megan!

    xo/acacia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exactly!! I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I've been trying to decide why I blog and what kind of a style blogger I am. And that is when it hit me. I don't blog for followers! I blog for myself! It's my way to scrapbook my life, thoughts, feelings, ect. So why be concerned about how many people are reading my posts and commenting on them? I shouldn't be. So I'm just gonna be me and stick with my purpose for blogging - documenting my life.

    Thanks for the post, Megan!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ahhhh girl,i just love you! :) this post is amazing!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you.
    You pretty much just wrote everything that I've been trying to write.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AMEN. AMEN. AMEN. Did I say AMEN?! I don't think I did.

    I SO agree with you, girl. I have fallen into that hole so many times and recently found my true niche (#ThankyouJocee). To agree and vent with what you just said:

    We see all these fantastic bloggers post fantatstic stuff, we think it will work for us because it worked for them, but it backfires. Why? Because we are not THEM. It only works for them. Why does it only work for them? Because people don't buy that kind of junk from us. They can totally tell when we're copying somebody else.

    Thank you for posting this. You just scored some extra brownie points from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just to drill it in your head one last time: AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I truly enjoyed reading this post, and couldn't find it to be more true.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey megan, this is a great post. sometimes, i feel like little copier girl because, my own posts seem boring, or too whiny, or not good enough. it's hard not to copy other blogs when i have 12 followers. thanks for doing this, i've been trying to think up a way to make my blog my own and i think i've got it. ;) so thanks, kelsey p.s. sorry bout the lack of capitalization, punctuation etc. i wrote this comment oon my phone. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness. Thank you so much for this post. It really reminded me to be myself with blogging. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a great post! So very true.. and relatable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. loved this, megan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. i can't really put the right words into this comment, but basically, this is so accurate and refreshing, and i love it. thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. really, really great. thanks so much, megan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks for writing a relatable post on being relatable :)
    what works for "popular bloggers" is they did their own thing - so do your own thing. and if you're blogging just to get followers, you honestly probably shouldn't be blogging. that's not what it should be about.

    love,
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really cool post :) Soooo true.

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.