a day in my life

Thursday, January 5, 2012

My alarm sounds into the quiet bedroom, echoing my sister's which has been going off for over an hour. After pressing the relieving five minute snooze, I doze on and off until it cries again. Unwilling, I crawl out of bed. The honest truth? I never want to get up in the morning. Cold air cloaks my bedroom like a thick fog and I don't want to fully wake from slumber. But once my feet settle on the hardwood floor, the smile which takes over my mood is inevitable.

The schedule I drew up yesterday hangs on my dry erase board -- exactly where I left it. My fingers tap the keys in a volume so quiet that it's almost a silence. The day has started like any other, but the happenings which lie ahead beg to make it stand out from the ordinary. I don't realize that everyday is unique in it's own. I don't stop to think that today has but once chance and may never be relived or repeated. This day, these moments, are but one and fully their own.


Cereal pours into the small glass bowl, soon to be crunching in my mouth. Hot chocolate dances from the cup and onto the counter as the peppermint candy sinks to the bottom, melting in the heat. The liquid warms my chilled body as I open my math book. School, again.

My scribbles soon clutter lined pages and endless pieces of notebook paper. Inky letters spring out from the pages of the textbooks, wildly filling the pure thin sheets.


By mid-afternoon I find myself seated in the van again. (Is there ever a day when I don't?) To all us iowan's disbelief, the january air ranks 61 degrees. Impossible to what we're sure is a record high. The wheels of the car roll along the downtown streets to a place I don't go often, yet know so well.

Afternoons are one of my favorites.


Hours later, the city lights begin to flicker on. The sun is setting into a glorious display of blues, oranges, and pinks. The rays of light scan the walls of buildings with a fiery light only caught by someone looking. It's the thursday sunset and this time I don't experience it with my back turned, enclosed in our warm home. Or behind the windows of the car. This time, I'm there in the open, noticing and feeling it with all of nature.


As the sky darkens to a rich blue, earth and I? We settle down in complete peace, for thursday has come to a close. And tomorrow holds an entirely new realm of possibility.

-megan

p.s. as partial to change as I am, the new design is up. thoughts?

20 comments:

  1. absolutely beautiful. your photography and writing is so breathtaking. I love the art photo so much! I really need some watercolors...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the new design! And I could only dream of writing like you.

    Love,

    Abbie - XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful writing. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! I love the header... I might just steal that idea for my blog! Thanks for the inspirational photos and words. It's nice to see :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the art♥ And your descriptive writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think your design is quite lovely. and i think that us texans are right up there with you as far as temperature is concerned. it's perfectly ghastly if you ask me. i'm so in love with your header. like, seriously. :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a very good day. :) I love the blue sky in the last picture!
    Oh, and I do hope you receive my very belated letter soon. It ought to be hopping through the postal sytem this moment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. stunning pictures. and I wish I could drink hot chocolate each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the new design is nice - reminds me of carlotta's!
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sky pictures. so purdy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new design is lovely!
    Also, I'm now a firm believer that your photography gets better with each post. The second to last photo is definitely going to be pinned, and the one with the girl is stunning!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post, Megan! :) I love the writing... and the beautiful pictures. :D

    In Christ,
    Mikailah~

    P.S. Love the header!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, this was lovely! Your writing is so beautiful and you have such a way of capturing the beauty of the little things that really are the most beautiful, in their simplicity. The design is great, too! Love it.

    -Lou

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, hi.
    One: Your new design is AMAZING. You have some serious talent, my dear.
    Two: This post was SO great. Maybe I'm just weird, but I love hearing about other people's days. The way you wrote it was lovely. As are the photos.
    Three: Yay for not being the only one who makes schedules.

    You're a doll. Come to York soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! I agree with with Morgan, I love hearing about people's days! I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've read this post like 3 times, that's how much I love it. Hah. The words, the pictures, it's all so lovely.

    I wish I could draw. I've dabbled a little bit in art, but really, I'm not good with a pencil, pen, paintbrush, whatever. But I would love to see your drawings/art! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea for a post! I might copy (the best form of flattery!). And so wonderfully written too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 290?! 290! You deserve every single one Megan! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.