On Journaling

Thursday, September 22, 2011

I've always wished that I journaled more than I do. My older sister has always been better at daily journaling that I ever was. She's got these beautiful journals full of her 13-16 year old thoughts, emotions, and daily happenings. 

via google

The other night, my sister had pulled out her old journals and began flipping through them. She read me a few ghastly passages where she rambled on about subjects that only she would have talked about and used spelling that would have made anyone wince. But no matter what she wrote about or how awful her spelling was, she had those times of her life documented, forever. 

I'm the one-broken-crayon-and-the-whole-box-is-ruined kind of person. Honestly, that's the only reason why I had four blogs pervious to this one. If one sentence in a letter is written sloppily, I rewrite the entire thing. If one entry in a journal is odd, badly written, or has awful drawings, the entire journal is ruined.

via

Just a few nights ago, I decided to get a new notebook and just write. Anything from thoughts about school to designs that I was working on. It felt amazing to sort of empty my mind of all those thoughts. It's almost like talking to someone--you always feel better after you've told someone. I discovered that just simply writing a few paragraphs, from nearly publishable writing to just random sentences that no one would care to read, gives me a chance to relax and empty all those things from my mind. It's an amazing feeling that you can't understand until you've experienced it yourself.

via


journaling prompts via pinterest
So here's to the start of being better at journaling. Once a week a least. please remind me if I happen to forget. 

thank you.

14 comments:

  1. lovely. i need to do more journaling, too.
    those pictures and that list from pinterest is gorgeousity!!! can i paaaweese have the link to your pinterest account? i'm going to follow you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yesh, so do i. i was just thinking about how wonderful it feels looking back on old drawings, spelling mistakes, and secret thoughts about family members. i find that when you journal without fear in a thoughtless, peaceful way, your entry comes out more authentic and is colored with uncensored, humorous phrases. be gutsy with your journal entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love journaling too! Though I'm not that faithful to it, it's so amazing to look back at some stuff I wrote in my journals and see how much everything changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about journaling!! Really, yesterday I was saying "you know, it would be better, and alot more genuine, if I actually wrote. Typing's cool, but those things can be deleted. With paper, it'll be in your live forever."
    So, insert my begging my mom for a trip to Barnes & Noble or any book related/craft store for some new vintage notebooks. Not because it seems cool {it does} but because it's important to me.
    Yell at me if you think you're forgetting something :))
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Journaling is great! I don't do it as often as I should, but I try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! My best friend and I started a journal together. She moved about an hour away from where I live and since we don't get to talk very often we write in a journal during the week and then exchange it on Mondays(piano). I have loved it!

    Emilie

    ReplyDelete
  7. i try to journal at least 2 or 3 times a week and more if something exciting/important happens. i decided to start journaling the beginning of my freshman year, and it really helps me think things through. here's to misspelled words and words of the heart :)

    <3anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @acacia: http://www.pinterest.com/megankm/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I think we all need to be reminded to journal. If people back in the day didn't journal, we wouldn't know hardly anything about them. Like in the Dark Ages (or Middle Ages) the Anglo-Saxons didn't know how to read or write, so we don't know much about them. I mostly write in a diary now, though. My life isn't too interesting. Plus my blog is kind of like a public journal. Most all of my diaries are filled with random thoughts like "what if we had 2 heads?" and stuff like drama with friends and lots of pages are filled with none other than boys. =P Wow. But yea. Anyway. Didn't mean to write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. good for you, megan! i have never ever ever been able to start & keep a journal for all of the reasons YOU listed, but maybe i'll try again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha, you're just like I was! If a entry was written badly, or my handwriting was sloppy I would rip out the whole thing and start over. And journaling for me used to only last a week and then I forgot about it. Jornaling with me was a mess.
    But the beginning of this year, I actually started a journal, and COMPLETED IT! I'm on my second journal right now. :) I LOVE journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wished that I'd journaled more too! and I'm the exact same way with the whole "one broken crayon" thing! its kinda annoying.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello

    I am just another blogger trying to get some followers!! So, if you could can you visit my two new blogs-

    littledovehappyflower.blogspot.com

    chicjbg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love writing in my dairy. Reading back through the last couple of years of my life -- hilarious moments I'd totally forgotten, deep thoughts about things I'm glad I can be reminded of.

    By the way -- you don't happen to be the Megan who converted Anna's blog back to two column over at Sisters in the Saviour, are you? Because I am absolutely stuck and have no idea how to change my own blog back to two column -- I've asked everyone! So any help of how to do it would be very, very gladly appreciated! Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.