A Summer I Hope Never to Forget

Saturday, August 13, 2011

writing // knitting // designing // watching movies with family // spending time with friends // reading a new book // listening to music // gazing outside at the full moon

There is a certain simplicity about summer nights that brings me to a wide smile of complete and utter joy. It is not the fact that I have no school work. It is not the fact that I can get by with wearing a tshirt. It's the fact that I can just have a chance to sit and think, not having to worry about a thing.

At the beginning of the summer, my plans were to finish writing my first novel to my series during the summer. I assume you have a fair guess as to how far I have gotten on that goal. Chapter 1. Now, before you go assuming that all I do is spend time on the internet (which isn't fully a lie), I will have you know that this summer I've been writing more than I ever have. Excluding last November, of course.

It isn't that I haven't been writing, because, obviously, I have been. The thing is, just this summer, it occurred to me that there is a world more to writing that I had ever realized. My characters, which I thought I knew, turn out to have deeper, darker, secrets that I had to dig deep to reveal. And my plot? Don't even get me started on how complex it has become. With twists and turns, secrets and solitary evil-doers at every corner, I have gotten in way over my head; and that is only just the best part.

With five other drafts of beginnings behind me, this writing adventure has become something that I could have only imagined of doing. Filling seven pages of far ahead books in one afternoon is becoming normal. And thinking up things that would never happen is now something I wholeheartedly allow myself to do.

If anything, this summer, I have learned that it's not just about what you eventually end up achieving, it's about what you learn in the process of getting there.

via

via

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, miss Megan! I especially love that last paragraph. So, so, so true. This might seem a bit random, but what I absolutely love about you and your blog is that you're not one of these flaky, say-a-bunch-of-fluffy-stuff that only "sounds good" type people. You post wonderful things that actually inspire us and that acutally comes from your heart. And I notice - it is with every single one of your posts whether it is silly, deep, or just about life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.