Tips to Better Blogging

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Everyone wants to be a good blogger. I started out a terrible one, but over the years, I've learned a lot. Here are a few tips to help you be a better blogger as well as earn some new readers

(1) Design? Keep it Clean.
     So many times I've gone to blogs where their design is distracting. Gadgets are floating off the sidebar, things a moving every which way, and the post isn't even clearly visible. The number one thing that keeps readers and followers away from your blog is your design. My one suggestion is keep it clean. Wipe your sidebar of everything except the necessary (i.e. Follower box, profile, blog button, menu bar). Make sure your design has nice colors (that don't clash) and that your gadgets aren't too big for your sidebar. You can search for simple tutorials online, or ask myself for help with your design. There are also lots of low-cost blog design sites. Olivia Collins and Hannah Nicole, just to name a few.

(2) Don't wander.
     Try to stay on one topic only. Wandering from topic to topic can really get your reader lost and they won't find it interesting at all. Choose a topic and stick with it. Your readers will thank you.

(3) Keep it interesting.
     There are lots of ways to keep your posts interesting and keep your readers begging for more. You want your topic to be interesting to your readers. Honestly, we don't really care how you spilled your orange juice on your shirt today. Choose a subject that will be interesting. Also, adding photography and fun quote images can really brighten up your posts. Try using different Sizes (tiny, small, large, huge) and styles (bold, italic, underline, strikethrough), you can also use different characters as well ([], {}, |, //,). Different colors are great too. But remember not to go overboard. You don't want to be too crazy. Find a good balance.

(4) avoid the, 'where's the follower box?'
     People new to your blog who like it, are definitely going to want to follow. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to someone's blog, wanted to follow, but couldn't find the follower's box, so I just gave up. Please, Please, Please, keep your followers box as the top gadget or after your profile. You don't want to loose followers just because they can't find the follower's box.

(5) Spellcheck is your best friend.
     No one is going to want to follow your blog if they can't even understand anything you are trying to say because every other word is spelled wrong. Use spellcheck, and if you need to, have a parent look over your post for you. Make sure to read over your post at least once before publish as well. I want to understand you and so do your readers.

I hope my tips helped you!
--Megan

p.s. June design coming soon!

12 comments:

  1. great tips Megan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful tips! Thanks for sharing! And you are SO right about the followers box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your tips! :)
    I think there really nice! :D
    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome tips Megan! do you know how to link a tab right directly to another website? I want to link a 365 blog directly to my normal blog but I can't figure it out :S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! Can't wait to see the Macro Life post today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the point you made in #4 - photos can really brighten up a post. Not to mention, I think someone's more likely to read a post (especially a long one!) if it's broken up by photos. A huge post of just words can be a bit daunting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Megan! And if you ever want to follow a blog - there is an option on the navbar...

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome tips, megan!! i am always looking for these types of posts to improve my blog and these tips are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool tips!! I may have to use these...
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these tips, Megan! :)

    ReplyDelete

because comments = happiness.